Thursday, October 30, 2014

Of Possible Interest...

... to fans of the Allman Brothers Band.  This, from Rolling Stone:


A couple o' things come to mind here.  First, I was fortunate enough to catch about 45 minutes of the four hour concert on XM yesterday while out gallivanting around and doin' the P-Ville equivalent o' the Grand Tour, which would be Portales - The Big(ger) CityTM - Cannon Airplane Patch - Portales.  I'm pleased to report the band sounded GREAT.  So good, in fact, that I briefly considered taking Happy Hour in the car to hear what was left of the concert when I got home.  But I didn't, for there were groceries to put away and other stuff to be done.

Second, I saw the Allmans a couple o' times in the way-way-back, the best occasion being when they headlined a triple bill at the San Francisco Cow Palace on New Years Day in either '72 or '73.  That triple bill was something else: the Charlie Daniels Band opened, the Marshall Tucker Band was the middle act, and the Allmans finished it off.  That particular concert was among the top five shows I've ever seen and I was well and truly worn out by the time that evening was over.  (Aside: some day I might rank the concerts I've seen and discuss them, but then again I prolly won't.  You're welcome.)  My friends and I drove to SFO from Klamath Falls, OR to see this concert, which should give you an ideer of just how big a fan of the Bros I was (and still am).  "Southern Rock" didn't get any better than what the Allmans delivered, in ALL their incarnations.

9 comments:

  1. That drive, from K-Falls, back then was a lot more of a ball buster that it is today, too.
    That is a true fan.

    O/T - this post got me to thinking about the many different events I have been to at the Cow Palace.
    What a venue... hockey, basketball, rodeo, circus, celebrity softball, concerts, sports shows, boat shows, car shows, and political conventions, to name a few.
    (I never went to a political convention... ever!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a venue, indeed. And still going strong! The Wiki's article on the Cow Palace is most interesting.

      Delete
  2. Saw the Allman Brothers at Saratoga a LONG time ago (early 70s). They were excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One wonders if they ever did a bad show. I think not.

      Delete
  3. Just remember....Eat A Peach, gang...for the vitamins that are in it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing I note, and it probably isn't "good" or "bad" is that most successful musicians get typecast. The fans won't let them break out. Betts could do country as well as southern rock, but a different type of people would actually buy it. Can you imagine the band doing punk rock? I'm sure they could be great punks. Ah well, back to petting the cat...

    P.S. I'm thinking getting out of Klamath Falls for any reason was a good thing. Them Oregun people are insane...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh P.S. are you sure it wasn't new years eve 1973? (Dec 31st 1973) that would mean you had a real party date down there!

      Delete
    2. On yer first: I bought at least one Dicky Betts solo album and it was VERY country-ish. As for the second, IIRC there were two shows and we tried to get tickets for both shows, but the New Years Eve gig was sold out. So we took what we could get.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.