Friday, July 18, 2014

One Minor Complaint and One Good Thing

We're back to this again.
Just in from yet another trip out to Cannon Airplane Patch to do the usual, customary, and reasonable things: restock the larder and the likker locker.  I need to get a handle on this "eating" thing; it's getting to the point where I spend waaaay more on food than I do on booze and beer.  That said, my monthly food bill is about half of my aggregate spend on booze, beer, and cigars... so mebbe I'm OK, after all.

While we're on about booze... there's still no 18-year old Glenlivet in stock at the Class VI store, which makes a lil over two weeks they've been out of stock.  Add in the fact the Class VI "can't get" Johnnie Walker Green any longer and the fact that Bulleit Rye has gone missing as well all adds up to a significant measure of discontent with the organization.  I suppose I COULD find both of these treats out there on the inter-tubes but the prices, Gentle Reader... the prices.  OTOH, the Class VI's price advantage goes right out the window if my favorite tipples aren't on the shelves.

It's always sumthin'.

In other news... on our way out to Cannon we were struck by how GREEN it is here on THPoNM right now, which is to say greener than I've ever seen it.  We've had well over six and a half inches of rain so far this year, which also makes this year the wettest year in my feeble ol' memory (which would include all 12 of the years I've lived here).  To put that in perspective, our average annual precipitation is only 16.81 inches per year and 8.7 inches of that is snow.  I really should have made a Cheesy Video to show you, Gentle Reader.  Then again, those of you who don't live in arid climes would be much less than impressed.  So there's that.

10 comments:

  1. Here in the Texas Hill Country we're at less than 6" this year. Had just over 8" last year total. Last decent year of rain was '11.

    Really sorry you have to "settle" for Glenlivet 15. Keep a stiff upper lip and all that, better times are comin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I were sitting in the same room as you, I would probably ask, "Do you want some cheese with that?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really sorry you have to "settle" for Glenlivet 15.

    If I were sitting in the same room as you...

    Ah... that's what I love about my Gentle Readers: all y'all are just soooo simpatico! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Walker Green Label is what I usually order when having a good steak. They enhance each other greatly. I see below that one of the Winter brothers has passed? Shoot. Off to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Green is Good Stuff... it was my malt o' choice until this year when it achieved unobtanium status.

      Delete
  5. I recall moans of long ago, about the vanishing of the 18 year old scotch of our choice. Turns out, it was in cargo containers that washed overboard from the ship on their voyage here from the Dewey Isles. The price shot through the roof and then there was none.

    I liked the cheesy bit above :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that "and then there was none" was only temporary. But then again, distillers can't go back in time and lay in more spirits to age. Which cheesy bit were you talking about?

      Delete
    2. That cheesy bit would be mine...
      ...and the acknowledgement is truly appreciated.

      Delete
  6. "But then again, distillers can't go back in time and lay in more spirits to age. "

    Yes, I've heard of this shortage, due to a fad for good 'skey these days. And I've been listening to the Munger archives on Econtalk. Markets really are all that.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also read something recently where Diageo (or someone like them) bought a controlling interest in India's largest distiller with an eye toward using that bid'niz as an "in" to the Indian market for better whiskey. The upshot was prices WILL be higher due to the limited supply.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.