Sunday, November 17, 2013

Today's Happy Hour Soundtrack: Letters I've Written, Never Meaning To Send Post

We've been listenin' to a lot o' Moody Blues over the past few and I've heard this chestnut at least five times during that time...


Nights in white satin, never reaching the end,
Letters I've written, never meaning to send.
Beauty I'd always missed with these eyes before.
Just what the truth is, I can't say anymore.
Ah, yes.  "Letters I've written," and there were MANY.  We're in receipt of the latest batch of old love letters from 35+ years ago and the amount o' correspondence is voluminous.  Like this:


We've spent the last two days goin' through a lot o' those letters... mainly in search of our sworn testimony to the Miss Marple Detective Agency.  And we found it, too.  I've read that letter at least three times and need to re-read it yet again, mainly on account o' be'coz I don't know if I'm goin' to post it or not.  I'm not sure how to position that letter in the blog's context, I'm not sure if the letter is appropriate blog content, and I'm not sure if I want to give that much o' myself away.  I'm still thinkin' on it.

In the meantime, we did come across this... an excerpt from a letter I wrote on 13 March, 1976, while I was deployed to Doi Inthanon, Thailand.  Without further ado...





We tried to make the letters to our beloved somewhat entertaining... just, yanno, as a break from all that mushy stuff.  I never did finish that story, to the best o' my knowledge.  I DID, however, continue to write a TON o' mushy stuff.

6 comments:

  1. Mon Dieu ! I haven't seen that many letters since, well, never...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We wrote each other every day during our separations while we were courting, Christiane... about which said separations were numerous and lengthy, amounting to at least a year and a half's time over the course o' three years. I'm somewhat blessed that the both of us saved all those letters.

      Delete
  2. Funny - we tuned to a Moody Blues station on Pandora during dinner tonite and what should come on ... Nights in White Satin. Probably one of my all-time favorite songs and, IMO, the very best Moody Blues song ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NIWS is a great tune but I'm not sure about the "best ever" thing. Google "the best Moody Blues songs" and see what others think about this subject; NIWS is always mentioned and ranks highly, but not highest, consistently. I think "Question," "Ride My See Saw," and "Story In Your Eyes" all come in above NIWS. That's just me.

      Delete
  3. Hey! Did you ever finish the spy story? I know it was just a short bit to amuse your beloved, but I liked it, a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim. No, I never finished the story... at least not that I've found.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.