Sunday, October 20, 2013

In Which We Rectify an Embarrassing Situation

I had some of the neighbors over for After Dinner Whiskey Hour last evening, an impromptu sort o' gathering which usually works out to be the best kind.  But not last evening, however.  I hadn't been payin' very close attention to the status o' the likker locker and was mortified to find I was almost out of every-damned-thing.  I had enough Bulleit to make the male neighbor a few drinks (he took his whiskey with but a single ice cube... good man!) but the two girls weren't whiskey drinkers.  I cavalierly offered to whip up a couple o' G&Ts for the ladies and they accepted.  At which time the mortification set in: I only had enough gin to mix but two G&Ts.  Tonic?  Yes, lots of it.  Limes?  No doubt.  But GIN?  Ummmm, no.  We WERE embarrassed.  (Further: I killed off what remained of the scotch, too.)

Well, we fixed THAT today by making the 30 mile round-trip out to the Cannon Airplane Patch Class VI store.  And we are resupplied:



Until such time as we aren't, of course.  Rest assured I'll have the troop responsible for monitoring the inventory on the carpet later on today.  This is a situation with which we shall not up put.

10 comments:

  1. The Green is a damn nice scotch. Makes me wish I had a double to go with my steak dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes ME wish I had a steak dinner to go with my double. ;-)

      Delete
  2. It is said that “amateurs talk tactics, professionals talk logistics”.

    Your SUPPO* let you down!

    (*SUPPO = Supply Officer, a nautical thang.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ol' Man* had a talk with the boy last evening. He'll do better. Or else.

      (*Ol' Man = commander. That's an Air Force term; Squids say stuff like "Skipper," which sounds like the protagonist in a novel about prep-school life.)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I ALWAYS have enough cigars, unless an entire squadron drops by.

      Delete
  4. The Sapphire is some damn fine gin. I do enjoy me a good G&T. Almost more for the effect it has on the missus, than for its extreme refreshing wonderfulness (but, um, I'm not supposed to tell. . .)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger that, on the Bombay Sapphire! As for the effects... ain't that why it's "HAPPY Hour?" :-)

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.