Sunday, July 14, 2013

C'est le Quatorze Juillet!


Bastille Day, in other words.  The fambly and I would take up position on the Champs d' Elysee early in the morning on Bastille Day every year we were in Paris and the parades were pretty extraordinary back in the mid-1950s.  And there's this, about the parade:


That's a member of the French Republican Guards.  You see that helmet?  I had one of those as a child... minus the red plumage... all bright, highly polished chrome with a gen-u-wine horse's tail flowing down the back out of that golden top piece.  That casque was one of my favorite childhood treasures and I have NO ideer what happened to it.  More's the pity, eh?

Happy Bastille Day to mes amis!

6 comments:

  1. Now that I have been to Paris, I can say O yeah, I know where that is! Very cool helmet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New Orleans has several great celebrations (natch) from the public ones both the city and the French consulate throw to several friendship societies that throw outstanding private-by-invitation bashes complete with bands and formal dances at major hotels. In my younger college days I was known to get drunk at practically ALL of them, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to go to a consulate party. I'll bet those are GREAT.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.