Sunday, September 23, 2012

Today's Happy Hour Soundtrack

I always thought this tune would make the perfect soundtrack for that mo'sickle racing video I never made...



And I SHOULDA made that video... except for one small thang:  there was no such thang as cheap, hand-held video cams back when I was doing that racing thang, which is to say c. '68 - '72.  Which is just a weak excuse to post photos I've previously posted.  To wit:


YrHmblScrb is second from the right

YrHmblScrb is second from the left

That's The First Mrs. Pennington directly behind #48, which would be me

These three photos are all that remain of the racing archives, the great majority o' which were lost in the Great Divorce Debacle o' 1999.  But... back to the tune... I always visualized the opening 30 seconds of "Jingo" as panning up and down the starting line, and the rest of the tune devoted to action shots of a race, culminating in the finish.  YrHmblScrb would be the star of this extravaganza, of course, ignoring the fact that my racing career was less than... ummm... stellar.  But, Hey!  We had us a great good time.

Ah, missed opportunities and the wistful remembrances of an old man...

6 comments:

  1. In my mind, I can see you screamin' around the track to Santana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very kind, Lou. You might be surprised to learn I DID have music in my head while I was racing... always.

      Delete
  2. One of those songs wouldn't have been Arlo Gutherie's "Motorcycle Song" would it, Buck? :) (I know, I know, wrong tempo, lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not while we were racing... but many, MANY times at the bar... before and after the races.

      Delete
  3. You were badass, brother. I mean that in all sincerity.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.