Sunday, June 24, 2012

Today's Happy Hour Soundtrack...

... is a tune I heard on XM radio's "Deep Tracks" station while I was on my way out to Cannon Airplane Patch earlier today.  Which, unfortunately, isn't available anywhere on the 'net.  But, herewith some lyrics:
Right now I don't have a dime
Most folks say the way I live is a crime
My telephone it don't get no call
I guess I don't amount to too much at all
But I know that one day everything I'll be okay
Just ya wait and see
You might say I don't live high on the hog
Im unemployable - no one will front me a job
I live from day to day on a handout or two
And I can't say a word when someone asks me what's new
But I know that pretty soon that I might hang the moon
Just ya wait and see
Hey I'll be comin' back in a Cadillac
Livin' in some mansion
Not some shotgun shack
I'll be comin` back
Sho nuff in a Cadillac
Heh.  The ultimate White Trash song which kinda-sorta fits, seein' as how I'm back... in a Cadillac.  Heh.

―:☺:―

The saddest thing I've seen lately... I came upon the aftermath of a head-on crash on my way out to Cannon earlier today.  The cops and other folks were loading up an SUV and a late-model coupe of indeterminate manufacture on a flatbed truck when I passed by.  The SUV was nearly intact, the coupe had its entire front end torn off and its windshield was smashed.  I'll surmise this was yet another "texting" accident, as the collision took place on a fast two-lane road with unlimited visibility and no intersection within miles.  I'm pretty sure the SUV's occupants were unhurt, I can't say the same for the occupants of the coupe, as it was totaled.

Sad.

―:☺:―

The funniest thing I've seen lately...  So, there I was... sitting on the verandah yesterday, feet up, enjoying a cigar and a beer or three... when a big-ass Portales Animal Control pick-up, followed by a  big-ass Roosevelt County Sheriff''s pick-up, and an ENMU police car, all zoom by in pursuit of a small red dog.  Said small red dog was loping across the empty field in front of El Casa Inmóvil de Pennington, aware of the pursuit but decidedly unconcerned.  I suppose this is a classic "ya hadda be there" scenario, but the sheer fact of at least SIX law enforcement ossifers pursuing ONE small dog tickled my funny-bone.

I don't know if the dog got away or not, but I'm sure hoping he did.  We always root for the underdog, doncha know.

―:☺:―

We had an abbreviated Happy Hour today, mainly coz it's hotter than Hades outdoors.  Like this:



We'll go back outdoors once the sun goes down, but we're indoors for the rest of the afternoon.  It wasn't bad outdoors (we did two beers and a whole cigar), Gentle Reader, mainly coz it's a DRY heat.  Heh.

12 comments:

  1. Go Dog Go!

    It is summer time here now. It hit hard this week, but I'm thankful for the mild spring and the good rains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... summer's in full-swing here, too. Our forecast has us in the triple digits all week.

      Delete
  2. We're enjoying a brief respite here... 75 and clear (reminds me of the Southern SF Peninsula).
    Re: the dog - my hope is that it wasn't being chased because it bit some innocent bystander.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the dog bit anyone, Skip. He's been a neighborhood fixture for quite some time. But not since Saturday... see below.

      Delete
  3. I'm with you Buck. I'm rootin' for the mutt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they may have got him. I haven't seen him around since Saturday.

      Delete
  4. Very sad about the wreck.

    Go, dog, go! Reminds me of the days in elementary school when all the kids would line up on the chain-link fence, with fingers intertwined through the links, booing the dog catcher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... dog catchers, used car salesmen, and politicians: all VERY boo-able.

      Delete
  5. Try some of these mountain roads with folks texting!
    We all know old dogs are smarter than puppies, let's hope it was an "old dog."
    Good lyrics. Sounds like it might be some good old Ms. delta blues song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The song has more of a country twang than a Delta Blues vibe, Ed. I wish I could found it on the Tube o' You.

      Delete
  6. It's always funny seeing a pack of humans trying to track down some animal that is vastly superior in the ways of the chase. Wish I had been there to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What was REALLY funny was the Animal Control guy racing across the open field in his pickup. The dog ran just fast enough to stay ahead of him and zig-zagged more than a few times, too. It was hilarious.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.