Thursday, May 17, 2012

Broadening Our Horizons XLVI

Tonight's After Dinner Whiskey Hour libation...


SN1 has been goin' on for a month or so now about how good this stuff is... so I decided to pop for a bottle of it while I was out at the base this morning doin' our usual, customary, and reasonable Scotch re-supply run.  About which... we bought yet another bottle of that Johnnie Walker Green which has become our Scotch of choice lately.  It's not a single malt, granted, but it IS a most-delicious blend of four single malts, none of which are less than 15 years old.  Aside from its wonderful taste it also has the virtue o' bein' significantly cheaper than lesser single-malts and has become the Scotch o' choice here at El Casa Inmóvil de Pennington.  

That said... this Tennessee Honey stuff will garner a permanent place in the likker locker.  Good stuff, Maynard!

―:☺:―

This evening's ADWH soundtrack... 


"Albatross" is one of the top ten all-time BEST guitar instrumentals.  I've had this tune on "repeat" for about the last two hours and it still hasn't gotten old.  Apropos o' nuthin'... my latest musical acquisition, of which "Albatross" is a piece-part, is a four-disc Peter Green Anthology (there are two links there; chase 'em both if you're into the music).  One or more of these discs are destined to take up residence in The Green Hornet, which is where ALL good music goes.  Eventually.

14 comments:

  1. Nice song, for sure. Reminds me of a bunch of other good guitar instrumentals that need revisiting from the sixties. Not a bad thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree... the '60s and '70s produced some of the world's greatest guitarists.

      Delete
  2. I do like the music. It reminds me of when Toby and I were first married, and I would rock out to Fleetwood Mac while cleaning house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No offense, Lou, but the Mac you rocked out to in the '70s in NO way resembles Peter Green's Mac. The '70s iteration was a pop band and Green's version was a pure blues band. There are some post-Green Mac tunes and albums I like, but those were all made during the Christine McVie era, before Buckingham & Nicks joined the group.

      Apropos o' nuthin'... I HATE Stevie Nicks. ;-)

      Delete
  3. We're gonna have to try the Green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great good stuff, Moogie. Smooth as a baby's butt.

      Delete
  4. Buck, if you like guitar instrumentals you ought to listen to a little Leo Kotke, if you haven't already..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have about 12 Kottke albums, Virg. I first heard him on Pan Am's Flight 2 on my way to Turkey back in 1970.

      Delete
  5. Bourbons? For my money 12-yr V.V.O. Old Fitzgerald by W.L. Weller is tough to beat. It's a wheat-based bourbon, so is smoother than most. VVO is smooth enough to drink neat yet not so sweet that it makes mixed drinks too "sticky sweet." They used to make a much cheaper 80-proof Bourbon called "Rebel Yell" in a distinctive drum-shaped bottle (think up-side down kettle-drum with a neck) that was sold ONLY south of the Mason-Dixon line. The label once said "Especially for the Deep South" and the label verbiage used to read: "The rebel yell, one of the most enduring legends of the war between the states, was infused with passion, commitment, and honor. Those same qualities are what make Rebel Yell Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey the true taste to embody our country's storied history. Fourteen years prior to the great battle of Chickamaunga, Georgia, the first bottle of Rebel Yell was produced. Its heritage still lives on to this day." Sadly that brand was spun-off to Heaven Hill distillers who eliminated all the "un-PC" stuff (and changed the bottle shape as cost-saver) in an attempt to take it national. The good news is this means that you can get it at Trader Joe's in SoCal for about $10/fifth--a GREAT value for the money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my comment to Small-Tee, below, I'm answering in reverse order this morning. One of the bloggers I used to read (before he quit blogging) recommended Pendleton for its smoothness. I've seen it out at the base and MIGHT spring for a bottle. Nearly all bourbons are too raw for my taste.

      Delete
  6. “That said... this Tennessee Honey stuff will garner a permanent place in the likker locker."

    That’s it, Buck! That’s the gist of your product endorsement?

    C’mon Buck, we’re talking whiskey here…

    That’s it, I’m sticking to Jimmy Beam. Cheaper and just as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're actually takin' liqueur here, not whiskey. Tennessee Honey is to bourbon what Drambuie is to Scotch. It's also only 70 proof, so there's that. You can have yer Jim Beam... the main reason I'm a single malt (lately blends) kinda guy is the smoothness of the drink. Beam BURNS.

      So: to clarify what I said... I'll take the TH in small doses, exactly the way I drink Drambuie. A bottle will last me a year. Unless SN1 comes visiting.

      Delete
  7. I have some interesting memories tied up in Jack Daniels. College. Shots. Meeting The Oracle for the first time. Waking up in bed, alone with my clothes - on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have similar Jack-inspired memories, some o' which involved me waking up in strange places NOT clothed. Or alone.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.