Friday, September 24, 2010

Find Us On Facebook?

Well, not for a couple of hours yesterday, anyway.  (And not me, not ever)  Apropos of the post immediately below this one... several of you Gentle Readers brought it to my attention that FB was down yesterday, as did numerous Tweeters.  Here are two of the best tweets on the subject:
 postsecret: BREAKING NEWS: Facebook is down. Worker productivity rises. U.S. climbs out of recession.  (from web, retweeted by cyberwar)

danicrino: DNS FAILURE: Facebook is down which means 9 months from today, many children will born. (from web, retweeted by FlagGazer)
Heh.  I particularly like the first tweet but the second one ain't bad, either.  FB sez it was a database failure that caused the two hour outage.

Related:  Facebook, the movie?  Well, yes.
The super-popular website that you just looked at (and will probably check again once you finish reading this) takes front and center in The Social Network, which early reviews are calling the best movie of the year. The film, written by Aaron Sorkin (The West Wing) and directed by David Fincher (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button), is a partly true, partly fictional retelling of the origins of Facebook by two Harvard students -- one of whom would eventually make billions and leave his friend in the dust. It's a pretty daring idea for a movie, and it could have easily been an awful one. So far, everyone seems to think it's terrific -- but will people really line up to see a movie about Facebook?
To answer the last question... not me, once again.  But 500 million other people MIGHT.  

5 comments:

  1. Those tweets are hysterical!

    I'm afraid to get absorbed into the Twitter world. I have a presence, but I rarely play with it -- my personality's too addictive and I already have too many cyber-monkeys on my back.

    Younger Daughter was floored yesterday -- not having a smart phone, and FB being blocked at work, she can't wait to get home in the afternoon to see what the world is doing, and it was down! She barely survived the vacuum (to hear her tell it)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely tweet (the last time was back in June) and I only read the tweets I subscribe to two or three times a day, Moogie. But I love Twitter for the weirdness and links to stuff I might otherwise miss.

    I'll bet your daughter wasn't the only one so affected yesterday, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guilty. And while it was down I got my Math homework done and caught up on one of my favorite shows I had on the DVR (19 kids and counting. Jeff hates it, so I wanted to hurry up and watch them before he started deleting).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strange, the facebook. A friend convinced me to sign up about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I did. About 10 people promptly sent me friend requests. I accepted. Not a single one of them has sent me any kind of message since. Why bother?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why bother, indeed... my feelings EXACTLY. I did it for about six months and then went inactive, coz you CAN'T delete your account. I don't like that lil quirk at all.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.