Sunday, September 12, 2010

Broadening Our Horizons XXI

About a year and a half ago... in February, 2009... I put this up:

(Sigh)

This is why I sometimes wish I lived in Colorado... and one of the better things I've ever read about Valentines Day (apropos of nothing):

Dark Kriek


For many years we’ve celebrated Valentine’s Day at New Belgium Brewing by creating a special small batch beer for our family and friends. These beers tend to be a little funky, fruitful and straight from the heart. This year we decided to share the love.
New Belgium Brewing’s Dark Kriek is a limited edition Belgian kriek or cherry beer. Much darker than a traditional kriek with a dash of sour cherry up front, our Dark Kriek is actually a blend of two beers. We start with a light, dry, tannic beer aged two years in oak barrels and combine this with a heavier, dark ale and cherries to create one smooth cherry blast of love.  8% ABV
(ed note: "share the love" is rather limited... from a New Belgium Tweet: "lowdown on location for Dark Kriek (cases by state) CO 500, CA 500, WA 150, OR 150, IL 25 - and 25 cases to our Liquid Center")
But then again... Colorado has all that danged snow. Never mind. Priorities, yanno.
We no longer have to worry about all that danged snow as we enjoy a Lips of Faith.  Witness:

Lips of Faith, accompanied by an Acid Opulence 3

Apparently New Belgium has broadened their distribution channels this year; I picked up a couple of these 22-ouncers out at the Class VI Store earlier today.  A full verdict will be forthcoming but my initial impressions... after a couple o' sips... are good.  The cherry flavor is pronounced but in an oh-so-good sorta way.  This beer is more like a fine red wine than the run o' the mill brewery output.  And the deep dark red color is magnificent in the sunlight!

So it's back outside to continue as we've begun.

10 comments:

  1. Yum! That does sound good. Too bad I live in Small Town, OK that never has interesting beer. But then again, I have not had to break ice on the pond for my animals in years. Maybe I will find a good beer store somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fruit and beer just don't seem to mix for me...save a lime in some Mexi-brew...oh and an orange in a Hefeweisen...but when its brewed in, it just doesn't work for me...my two pence.

    MamaLou...give Choc a try sometime, its an instate brew from over east, Hichita i think, its not just good...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound pretty good. I'm typically not a beer drinker, but I do like seasonal Abita down here. In the spring it's strawberry (which disappears pretty dang fast) and in fall it's pumpkin. They're both really tasty.

    Enjoy! Without snow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, there's something about a red beer that makes even foul brew taste just a wee bit better. Odd, but true.

    (Not sayin' this is foul brew, of course, but just making the general observation.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad I live in Small Town, OK that never has interesting beer.

    That would be P-Ville, too. I thank The Deity At Hand EVERY time I go out to the Class VI store. Were it not for them my options would be a LOT more limited. Yet another thing to miss about livin' in The Big City.

    Jay: You're not alone on the fruit/beer thing. It took me quite a few years to develop a taste for this kinda stuff, and even now it's only an occasional thing.

    Moogie: I had to google Abita, of course. The folks at Beer Advocate agree with you on the strawberry seasonal, giving the beer an overall grade of "B." See "Big City," above.

    Jim: I'll generally agree with you; even Killian's Red goes down better coz of the color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been a fan of fruity beer, so I would have to pass on principle.

    I can fore-go the snow and ice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buck, Dark Kierk sounds good but I don't think I'll see it in TN because of the 8% ABV. If I'm not mistaken, state law here prohibits any beer or malt liquor from being over 6%. I'm a little late, but have a happy happy hour!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thought of you on our travels around some pubs last week Buck! BTW did you work near or at RAF Brize Norton?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just a simple change to a law allowing folks to brew at home, and look what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. BR: UNderstand.

    Dan: That's a shame about TN state law but Utah is the same way, except they're worse. I think their limit is 3.2%. You go to the Class VI Store at Hill AFB and most all the beer is labeled "strong beer" to differentiate from the local stuff.

    Alison: I've been to Brize Norton but never worked there. I was stationed at RAF Uxbridge, which your government is closing. That's a shame.

    Gordon: Heh.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.