Thursday, October 22, 2009

Today's Happy Hour Soundtrack...



I remember the good old days,
Stayed up all night gettin' crazed.
Then the money was not so good,
But we still did the best we could.
Ooh baby, that's hard to change
I can't tell them how to feel.
Some get stoned, some get strange,
But sooner or later it all gets real.
Oh, yes... "sooner or later it all gets real."  Truer words, and all that.  "Walk On" is from "On the Beach," one of Neil's more obscure and least successful albums (in sales terms), yet that album is one of my favorites and one I sorely miss... seeing as how I've never bought the CD to replace the vinyl copy that's in SN2's custody. And then there's this, from the same album (a live version):




The music in "For the Turnstiles"... and I'm speaking of the guitar riffs... is some of the best stuff Neil ever did, IMHO. YMMV as ever, Gentle Reader.  And now it's back outside to soak up what remains of this Fall afternoon's fading sunshine.

6 comments:

  1. Well, I've got "American Stars and Bars" in my collection, too. But these two tunes really do it for ME, Darryl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my computer may be on its last leg - the videos never came up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talkin' about guitar work.

    Of course the music works for you. Not saying anything derog.

    it's all good, I just prefer Young's love songs. And Powderfinger/anything on Live "Rust".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always been a huge fan of Neil's guitar work. Not the best technician, by a long shot, but the man gets more heart into his playing than 95% of those who are better technically.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lou: Sorry about your computer!

    Darryl: I really wanted to post the acoustic version of "For the Turnstiles," where Young plays banjo and sings some pretty raw harmonies. What I posted is but a shadow of the original.

    Jim: I agree with your observation wholeheartedly. I've been a BIG NY fan all the way back to the Buffalo Springfield days.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.