Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Procrastination...


… is getting the better best of me. There are any number of things that should be done around El Casa Móvil De Pennington but, sad to say, aren’t. Things like “wash the car,” which really, reeelly needs it, since the rain last week (last week!) made a complete and total mess out of it. Things like the full laundry bag, which sits in plain sight and silently nags me each time I glance over at the corner where it sits. Things like take Ms. Zukiko in for her first service, which has been delayed since January (!) because it’s still pretty danged chilly in the morning and I don’t ride if the temp is below 60 degrees (now we’re into serious rationalizations, which includes the fact that Zia Powersports doesn’t “do” appointments, it’s “get it in before 0830 hours.” That’s out of the frickin’ question this time of year. As I said: serious rationalization.). So... we're not even close to beginning these things, let alone completing them. They're not even on the “To-Do” list except for the one I keep mentally, and that particular list is kicking my butt, as we speak. Otherwise, why would I be whining about it, in public, even?
In my defense (now here I go…playing point – counterpoint with myself!), I have taken care of everything on the formal (written) To-Do list, the last of which I scratched off this morning, to wit: order new tires. This is a classic example of the seriousness of the problema I’m moaning about… in that I became aware I need new tires on April 4th, and finally took action today, April 22. Also on the To-Do, and done: call my broker and arrange to have money transferred out of my 401(k) into my cash account to cover the first installment on my new teeth. That lil item contributed in no small part to the angst I’m baring in this public space, as well.
About which… astute readers will note the two month lag between my Adventures in Magnetic Resonance Imaging and the transfer of money to cover the ensuing and subsequent dental adventure, the first installment of which begins next month with sinus lifts on both sides of my face. That is major surgery accompanied by general anesthesia, an event that, while necessary, fails to (a) fill me with anticipation and (b) excite me. Quite the contrary, but back to the delay. It seems the quality of MRIs done at the local hôpital is somewhat lacking. So much so that Dr. Thompson (who I dearly love, this screed should in NO way be construed as being critical of him or his services, which are frickin’ great) is having his very own MRI machine installed in his offices, and we’ll do that MRI thing one more time before my surgery. But the Good Doctor will do this next MRI gratis, which is a Good Thing indeed. Coz MRIs are pretty danged pricey, Gentle Reader.
But… back to the whining. I was also informed that my situation is worse than originally estimated, thus the two vs. one sinus lift that was originally called for. That, of course, results in increased cost, which is now up to the equivalent of 72.4% of a new Miata (and that is an actual percentage figure, not an estimate. According to the Kelley Blue Book.). And we’re not talking your basic Miata here, Gentle Reader… nope, we’re talking loaded, full-boat Miata…top o’ the line with retractable hardtop, satellite radio, Bose audio, sport suspension, six-speed, leather, yadda, yadda.
{sigh} It’s always sumthin’, ain’t it? But what does all this moaning and groaning have to do with my To-Do list, you ask? It’s state-of-mind, Gentle Reader…just state-of-mind. Which ain’t too good these days.
But we’ll get over it. We always do. I’ll not whine again for at least a month. That’s my promise to you.
Thanks for listening.

6 comments:

  1. Would you like a little cheese with that whine? Hey, I hear ya. I am the queen of procrastination. But if I were looking at surgery on my sinuses, I would probably be pretty whiney. I might even want to fight. Hey, I have been wanting to fight lately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch on the teeth. And ouch on the pocketbook because of the teeth! But good of Good Ol' Hottie Dr. Thompson to give you that MRI gratis.

    Wash your car ASAP. Please. We needs a rain (there have been 4 grass fires on the scanner today). And I can't water my lawn anymore because of something with the stupid pump in the well. A good turd floater would do nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the surgery thing. Not fun.

    Maybe you should put it of until later. With the laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Lou is the queen of procrastination am the princess of it! Sometimes I need a kick in the pants to get myself moving.

    Poor Buck! (no sarcasm intended) I was going to say Ouch! but Jenny already said it. Teeth what a pain! Too bad they are necessary. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sinus lifts? Yow! I had some battles with my implants - as you know - but sinus lifts? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lou sez: I might even want to fight. Hey, I have been wanting to fight lately!

    Hmmm. I have noticed that about ya lately, Lou. Now that you mention it. :-)

    Jenny sez: Wash your car ASAP. Please. We needs a rain (there have been 4 grass fires on the scanner today).

    Well, that might could happen, if I could re-align my sleeping habits with the rest of the world. I won't wash a dark green car in the glare of the mid-day sun, tho...

    Grass fires are VERY scary things, as anyone who's read your blog knows...

    Diva sez: Maybe you should put it of until later. With the laundry.

    Ah, would that I could, Diva. But I like solid food too much...

    Ashley sez: Poor Buck! (no sarcasm intended) I was going to say Ouch! but Jenny already said it.

    Thanks, Ash. And "poor," while not quite accurate, is getting closer to reality.

    Jim sez: Sinus lifts? Yow! I had some battles with my implants - as you know - but sinus lifts? Wow.

    Yeah. Quite the pain, both literally and figuratively. But: your narrative about your experience with implants was very helpful, Jim. I considered the alternative (false teeth) but rejected it because I don't know a single person who hasn't complained about their false teeth... beginning with my father in the way-back up until the present... being that I'm of "a certain age" and have friends who have direct experience.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.