Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day

It’s St. Paddy’s Day, innit? So…In honor of all the Irish and Irish Wanna-Bees…

Wow. That’s BAD. I apologize, Mick. I didn’t mean it. “The luck o’ the Irish,” indeed.

―:☺:―

Aging USAF airframes… I read this lil blurb in the Air Force Association’s Daily Brief this morning:

A Kennedy-era RC-135 Rivet Joint electronic surveillance aircraft surpassed 50,000 flight hours during a mission March 12 in Southwest Asia supporting Operation Enduring Freedom. The aircraft, which has been in service since 1962 and flown tours in far-flung places ranging from Vietnam to Afghanistan and Iraq, is the first Rivet Joint and the first of any C-135 airframe, in general, to reach this milestone.

I’ll do the math for ya, Gentle Reader. 50,000 hours is 2083 days, or 69.45 months, or 5.71 years. In the air. I’ll leave it for someone else to count all the maintenance hours required to keep this geriatric airframe in service. But just as a rule of thumb, it takes anywhere from five to 15 hours of maintenance for each hour of flight. And that’s not counting trips to the depot.

There’s more on your aging Air Force here. Here’s a sample, using the RC-135 as an example:

To help put this aging airframe issue in perspective, we recently matched the various dates when aircraft from the Air Force fleet officially entered service (Initial Operating Capability) with the events that were occurring during those same respective years. On a first glance this comparison is amusing. However, upon a second look it is clear that we face a very serious situation and must do everything possible to address this critical issue.

[…]

1973—RC-135 Rivet Joint

· The tiny 1973 Honda Civic debuts with the slogan: “It will get you where you’re going.”

· A ceasefire is signed, ending involvement of American ground troops in the Vietnam War.

· Chile's Marxist president, Salvadore Allende, is overthrown and Gen. Augusto Pinochet takes power.

· Fourth and largest Arab-Israeli conflict begins when Egyptian and Syrian forces attack Israel.

· Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries hikes oil prices tremendously in retaliation for Western countries' involvement in Yom Kippur War.

· President Nixon, on national TV, accepts responsibility, but not blame, for Watergate.

· Spiro T. Agnew resigns as Vice President and then pleads no contest to charges of evasion of income taxes while Governor of Maryland.

· US Supreme Court rules on Roe v. Wade.

· American Graffiti, The Exorcist, The Sting dominate at the box office.

· Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is designed and in 1983 it becomes the standard for communicating between computers over the Internet.

· Skylab, the first American space station, is launched.

A lot of you hadn’t even been born yet. There's more at the link.

―:☺:―

I’m almost caught up on my Daily Reads. Almost, but not quite. It’s a great good thing I decided (?) to get sick over a weekend, because a lot of my Daily Reads post ever so lightly on Saturdays and Sundays. And I'm thankful for those posting habits, given the circumstances.

Things are better today in the body department. I was able to hold down real food yesterday for the first time since Thursday…and let me tell ya: living on bland food just ain’t any fun at all, Gentle Reader. We needs us our salsa! And LOTS of it, too… Maybe today. Or maybe I’ll decide to do corned beef and cabbage this evening, with the usual, customary, and reasonable horseradish (the real stuff. Not that "creamed" krep)... and lots of that, too. Or not.

Perhaps we shouldn’t tempt fate, eh?

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like many a (late) night at the tavern. Every drunk thinks he can sing "Danny Boy"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot it was St. Paddy's day!

    I am glad you are felling a little better! Get better Buck! We missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope everything's all cleared up soon.

    There's a scene in "The Bucket List" that addresses the "tempting fate" thing. Pretty much head-on. You'll know it when you see it. And whatever they paying Jack Nicholson, he's worth every dime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are BRAVE to want to attempt that kind of food so soon after praying to the plastic God!

    I like Harry Connick, Jr's version of Danny Boy (Memphis Belle) better than the Muppets, me thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you're feeling better!

    I loved the video. I knew I would as soon as I saw who would be singing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had C.B&C for lunch today. It was ok, wasn't cooked correctly though. There's a place over in Destin called "McGuire's that does it right. and your right about "creamed horseradish". Have you ever ground your own? Glad your doing better, do you think you found the cause?

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's a scene in a "Seinfeld" episode that addresses the "salsa" thing. Pretty much head-on.

    "You know why? Because people like to say 'salsa.' 'Excuse me, do you have any salsa?' We need more salsa.' 'Where's the salsa? No salsa?'"

    Whatever they paid Larry David, it was worth every dime.

    Glad you're back to enjoying (literally) the spices of life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reese, I remember that episode! In fact, I know we watched it (probably in reruns) when my oldest was learning to talk, and she always said salsa just like Jerry did: "SALsaaaaa!!". LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you are feeling better. I sent Toby and Jesse off to work dressed in green.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jim sez: Every drunk thinks he can sing "Danny Boy"!

    I hear that! Present company excepted, of course. Mom told me I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. She was right.

    Laurie, Ashley, Becky, Lou, Reese, Morgan, and Dan said: (words to the effect of "Glad you're feeling better")

    Thank you ALL. The "interesting" thing about this sort of experience is how depleted one gets, energy-wise. And I have NO idea what brought this krep on... I'm just glad it's OVER.

    Reese and Jenny sez: "stuff about Seinfeld"

    Dang. I missed that one. I need to watch more Seinfeld and less of that other stuff that eats up my brain...

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1973: The Old Retired First Class Petty Officer enlists at the tender age of 19. NTC San Diego is now high priced condo/townhouses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anon sez: 1973: The Old Retired First Class Petty Officer enlists at the tender age of 19. NTC San Diego is now high priced condo/townhouses.

    So it's true, then... "You can never go home again!" ;-)

    Lotsa water under the bridge since 1973, eh?

    Strangely enough, PO1, I've never been back to Lackland AFB since I graduated from basic in 1963. I've been in San Antonio numerous times but never out to the base.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Petty Officer Anon:

    NTC Great Mistakes, IL for me, don't know the local real estate situation. Haven't been back. Thanks to you for the long service. I didn't stay in as did career Cold Warriors like you and our host. And "old?" Please! Just do the math on Buck! (Smiley winky thing--> ;-))

    Sergeant, the episode I quoted brought the saying "It's a show about nothing." I looked for a clip, but didn't find one. You can probably read the script much faster. Like you said, a short mindless break won't eat your brain as much as some of this "cable news." Quote in point from the same script: "Look at all the junk that's on TV."

    http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/ThePitch.htm

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reese sez: And "old?" Please! Just do the math on Buck! (Smiley winky thing--> ;-))

    Ah...but I wear it well, now, don't I? ;-)

    Thanks for the link, Bob. Much appreciated! Ya know, I think one of our local stations has Seinfeld in re-runs, right? Since I've seen damned few of the shows, I should seek 'em out.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.