Monday, August 20, 2007

Still More Stuff I Missed...

Via Chapan unusual blog written from The Sandbox:

As always, the din from the rotors of the Black Hawk was overwhelming. As though the whole picture were on mute, the rotorwash drowning out all other noise, I watched as Col. Mike Meese, my professor this past spring, climbed silently into the helicopter and buckled up across from me, followed by three more soldiers in their bulky armor. Then Col. Meese’s voice crackled loudly over the intercom: “Sir! This is Wes Morgan!” I couldn’t see who the colonel was talking to, the cabin was so cramped, but I knew a moment before I heard an easily recognizable voice reply: “Good to have you with us, Wesley. Glad to finally meet you.” As the officer next to me pushed back to make way, another grey-clad, armored soldier leaned across the crowded space of the cabin to shake my hand. It was him alright: four stars on his hat, four more on his armor, the face you see on the news, and a nametag that read Petraeus.

You could be tempted to ask “What’s so unusual about a milblog from Iraq these days?”, given there are literally hundreds to choose from. Well, for starters, the blogger is a sophomore at Princeton. And a member of ROTC. Yep: an Ivy League Rot-cee cadet. That, in and of itself, is pretty danged rare. Add in the fact that this guy writes for The Daily Princetonian and gets face-time with the nation’s most famous general (at the moment), and you have some highly unusual, informative, and entertaining writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just be polite... that's all I ask.